Do you live outside Mexico?
Due to the contributions and innovation in Nuclear Medicine and the procedures for evaluation of multiple diseases, in 1965 was founded in Mexico City, the Mexican Society of Nuclear Medicine, an institution that motivated us to disseminate its utility.
Nuclear medicine is a specialty that uses substances or drugs with radioactive atoms with which the diagnosis is made through the performance evaluation of organs or body tissues.
In our unit we have the best equipment and specialists to provide this service, with the quality and attention you deserve.
Visit our facilities located on ground floor, in the imaging area into the Tlalpan Médica Sur facilities. For any questions or suggestions, please write to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
A scintigraphy is ...
A diagnostic test based on an image produced by the radiation generated after injection or inhalation into the body of substances that contain radioactive isotopes that are used to study the functioning of various organs such as heart, kidney, thyroid and brain, as well as to evaluate the functioning of our bones and intestines, and to diagnose and detect early cancer, if there was suspicion of being ill of it.
1. Bone scan. This study determines the function or bone activity. Used for Detection of Bone Metastases, Detection of Soft Tissue Infections and bone infections such as cellulitis or osteomyelitis, Bone Tumor Detection in trauma to rule out occult fractures and bone Vascular Necrosis.
The study was made using the radiopharmaceutical into a peripheral vein in either arm or back of the hand. There should be an estimated time of 3 hours to go to the scan room to make the scan. The studies will be delivered between 24 and 48 hours later.
To perform this study, the patient should bring the previous imaging studies, prescription requesting the study, comfortable clothing and fill out an informed consent.
2. Cardiac scintigraphy. In this imaging service we perform several studies to evaluate cardiac function as the ventriculography equilibrium, designed to measure the ejection of both heart chambers and regional mobility. The Left Ventricular Ejection Fraction:
Dynamics and tomographic slices, which is applied to the evaluation of cardiac ventricular function. And Myocardial Perfusion scintigraphy in different modes: stress-rest, drug testing, resting, with thallium reinjection and dual studies.
The patient should attend to the study fasting at least 5 hours, with comfortable clothing, preferably opened at front, must stop taking some drugs, for which the patient should refer to his or her physician and Nuclear Medicine unit, bringing previous EKG studies, general stress and cardiac studies, and must give signed consent for the completion of scintigraphy and cardiac stress test.
3. Renal scintigraphy. Is used to evaluate kidney function, allowing them to evaluate the glomerular filtration, effective renal plasma flow, diagnose hypertension of renal origin, detection of infection, scarring or renal cysts, detection of urinary tract obstruction, evaluation and control of transplanted kidney.
This study is performed by injecting the drug intravenously, marked with radioactive material, which can measure the dynamics of the kidneys.
The patient should attend the study well hydrated, with comfortable clothing, and a sign consent to carry out this procedure.
4. Gastrointestinal scintigraphy. This type of study is applied for the detection and assessment of bowel problems. There are scintigraphies of the salivary glands, gastric emptying, and Gastroesophageal Reflux, Gastroesophageal Reflux and Aspiration, gastrointestinal bleeding, to search for ectopic gastric mucosa, hepatosplenic, and biliary tract.
These are special studies, so the way to them varies depending on each one as radiotracers (guides) that are implemented. It is important that if you have any question, contact us to give detailed information of each one of them.
5. Thyroid scintigraphy. It is a study that determines the function or activity of the thyroid gland. It is used when there is need to detect lumps or to evaluate the correlation between thyroid function and the diseases that cause hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism.
This is done in two ways. If this study is made with 131-I (iodine),it is given a shot of medicine and one day after the procedure is done.
But if this is done with the drug 99mTc (Technetium), is applied in a peripheral vein and the study gets done 20 minutes later.
Finally, the patient undergoes the scan room. The studies will be delivered between 24 and 48 hours later.
The patient must attend with previous imaging studies, prescription requesting the study, comfortable clothing and a filled consent to perform that procedure.
6. Brain scintigraphy.
7. Scintigraphy for cancer diagnosis and control. It is used for early detection and proper monitoring of the different cancer types.
Depending on the cancer type under of study is the type of scintigraphy is employed. One is the scan with gallium-67, indicated in the diagnosis and monitoring of Hodgkin´s lymphoma, No Hodgkin's lymphoma, lung carcinoma, melanoma, etc.
The second one is, thallium scintigraphy-201 (Tl-201), which is used in brain and bone tumors. Another one is-99m sestamibi scintigraphy, used in control and detection of parathyroid adenomas, multiple myeloma, bone tumors and breast cancer.
For its part, The Body Scan is divided in three parts: with Adrenal agents, is used in search for tumors with adrenergic activity, with MIBG-131-I, which is used in neuroendocrine tumors, and 131-I, used to give monitoring thyroid carcinoma.
The patient must attend with previous imaging studies, bring the prescription requesting the study, comfortable clothing, filled and signed consent document.
8. Radioactive drug therapy. With this therapy are taken out some therapeutic procedures for Hyperthyroidism, Thyroid Cancer and Metastatic Bone Pain Palliation.
Therapy for Thyroid Cancer is realized in two ways. The first, is for patients with a history of cancer in this area. Must be placed in a special room of the hospital, isolated and will be given high levels of legally permitted radioactivity. The second is for treating the disease of the thyroid functional type and depending on the dose, the procedure will be done on an outpatient basis. In both cases, the administration is orally.
In the case of bone metastases, the administration of radiopharmaceutical through a catheter into a peripheral vein, it is only for pain and is performed as an outpatient at the Nuclear Medicine Unit.
The patient must attend with previous imaging studies, prescription requesting the study, comfortable clothing, filled and signed consent form.
Other scintigraphy studies
There are other studies to explore only some organs such as Pulmonary Perfusoria / ventilatory scintigraphy for infection detection, lymph scintigraphy, lacrimal gland scintigraphy and testicular scintigraphy.
To carry out any of these studies, it is not necessary that the patient arrives fasting, but must bring previous imaging studies, the prescription requesting the study, comfortable clothing and filled and signed consent.
* The Nuclear Medicine service has a 5% discount for elderly people who presents their INSEN card.